Friday, July 14, 2006

My leggings, myself

So I'm starting this blog for all the typical reasons: I'm bored, everyone else is doing it, I think I'm really witty and I want an online stalker (kind of as a way of returning the favor). But why now, after all these years? I just bought leggings. Mostly because they are trendy. Like much in my life recently, I'm not sure if this purchase is regression or progress.

Leggings are a symbolic item of clothing for me. I wore ONLY leggings (or stretch pants as I called them then) until sixth grade. Like, I refused to wear jeans. I thought they were uncomfortable. Once in fourth grade my parents made me buy jeans and I picked out these zebra striped ones (which i'm SURE will be making a comeback in five minutes, if they haven't already). Looking back ten (wtf???) years later, sixth grade doesn't sound too old to be wearing stretchies. But in seventh grade looking back on this fashion faux-paus, I was mortified.

So imagine my surprise when I was at my internship at a well-known women's magazine where I work in Fashion and Beauty (“beauty”-which in marked anti-feminism stands for make-up and hair products,etc.) when the conversation turned to the return of the leggings. Interruptingmyself: Like Anne Hathaway in Devil Wears Prada, I knew or cared little about fashion or beauty before entering, and ended up there kind of by accident. And yes, I relate to that movie like woahh. If I read one more article blasting the “ridiculous” premise of how an NU student interested in “serious journalism” would not have ended up an assistant at Runway I might have to do something drastic. Like write a letter to the editor.

But like Anne, either I'm drinking the kool-aid or something clicked in me recently, and I am learning the importance of fashion and beauty from the other interns and staffers who care about such things. Seriously! The other day fashionable fashion interns were talking approvingly about the leggings' big comeback. One noted how she only wears leggings because they are so much more comfortable than jeans which I understand, since that was my argument a decade ago.

So today I find myself at Forever 21 in Union Square in search of a cheap cute summer dress and tank tops. With my fashion-forward colleagues voices ringing in my ears, I also try on leggings They're comfortable, duh. And they look ok. And they're cheap. And they fit, which is not the case with the cheap, cute summer dresses and

1 Comments:

Blogger DCheslow said...

Forever 21 has a branch in Jordan. I bet we tried on the same leggings. I bet I didn't buy them because no one here exposes more than an ankle, and even tight jeans are unusual in the older parts of town.

Referring to your most recent post, please expound on the music man. I would like to see photos of him and the party animals. Do you have friends in NY? Do you live alone? Does your shower smell like something died in it...because my, uh, friend's does.

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home