Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm moving!

Those of your who really enjoyed my "Westchester bar reviews!" should not hold your breath for part #2, since I am moving to NYC(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) where bars are already reviewed on Yelp.com. Specifically on I'm moving on Sunday to Williamsburg, Brooklyn, with Crystal, a really cool girl from Northwestern in a small-but-not-uncomfortably so-apartment. For those of you nonnewyorkophile out-of-towners, Williamsburg is a really fun area a stop outside Manhattan, that was formerly Hasidic Jew/Latino, and has in recent years been replaced by hipsters.

Now, people always use the terms "gentrification" derogatorally...often by those who are responsible for the gentrification. I am aware that I am an instrument in gentrification, and I think I'm okay with this, though it feels a little wrong to pay DOUBLE what the people before me did (because it was rent-controlled and market value has gone way up).

We looked at an apartment in a sketchy part of Bushwick that real estate agents are trying to call "East Williamsburg." Now, maybe in 5 years this area will be just as fun and hip and safe as Williamsburg, but let me tell you, it's not now. A little boy pulled a gun on me. Ok, it was a fake gun, but it looked VERY REAL! Note: my children will have no guns that are not supersoakers.

The point is, I've decided I want to pay a few dollars to be the beneficiary of gentrification. I'm not from the pioneers. I'm not cut out to go to a new neighborhood of old people and families that don't speak English, to be the gentrification to make the neighborhood safe for future generations of white kids from Westchester.

Until then I am super-excited to drink PBR at bars that have already been established. yayy!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

oh man, i was TOTALLY looking forward to that second westchester bar review (i hardly go out in l.a.) still, congratulations on your new apt in a great city and with an awesome roommate! i'm a little jealous. can't wait to visit you soon.

allan

11:10 AM  
Blogger diana said...

Thanks Allan! And YES, you have to come visit on your breaks from saving the children of LA

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home