Monday, May 21, 2007

Have you heard about cell phones?

So I started my first "real" job a few days ago and I had my first "rea:l day today, and so far things are quite excellent. I am going to attempt to be professional and not blog details (although there is no formal police against blogging unlike say another organization I worked for that's name rhymes with Monde Blast).

However, I will say that my new job got me a cell phone, which at first seemed like a score. But I don't think this is so. Today I was I was completing my last interview of the day on my land line and was about to be the last person to leave the office at 6:30 to catch the 6:50 Metro-North (one of the biggest downsides to rocking the suburbs is that trains home are infrequent) when my work cell phone rang. Should I answer it, I thought? No, I decided. I'm about to leave the office, and I can't be a slave to my cell phone. The PR guy who called got my cell number off my e-mail signature and totally didn't need to talk to me that minute and in fact had just sent me an e-mail saying to call in the morning. I found calling my cell phone sort of unnecesary, but then I realized I put it in my signature so I guess it's on limits? And I realize I'm not at a totally 9 to 5 job and I'm not in a 9 to 5 city, but I feel like I shouldn't be always accessible.

Ok, this is totally rambly and makes no sense, but I had a memory of being in high school when one of my first friends got a cell phone. I remember feeling awkward calling his cell, as opposed to his home, because I felt like I'd be interrupting. Now, a mere 6 years later, I call everyone on a cell phone, even when I'm calling them at home. I try my parents on their cells before I call the landline since I know they'll be available.

I know at 22 years old I am in no position to be falsely nostalgic about a world I barely existed in, BUT I think it's kind of a little sad that I'm part of the last generation that will remember a time when you couldn't reach people at a moment's notice.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home