Sunday, May 18, 2008

Monthly blog post

I figure I should blog once a month if I want anyone to read this ever.
Isn't it crazyness that I've been at my job an entire YEAR now? My first blog post was about how I didn't know if I should answer my work cell after hours. Now I don't really, but I check my work e-mail constantly since I'm all blackberry'd up, but I don't respond unless it will make my life easier the next day. And I have a decent work/life balance. I work kind of a lot now but all New Yorkers seem to work a lot...I think I work a little more than average since I still spend Thursday nights up until all hours, and ok, this week I was semi-on track and I told my editor I'd be done at 9pm and he's like "Oh, do you think you can squeeze out this other story?" "Umm, no," I said. How insane is that, that if I say I'll be done at 9pm that's considered an EARLY NIGHT and I should do a little bit of more work? Ok, so that part of my job I hate since I can never make plans Thursday nights. But that should be changing w/this redesign thing, but enough else I like that that's not bad. Like I get to travel to cool places and am writing cool stories that I enjoy. I feel like I am doing what I like about journalism and not the stuff I don't.

I realized I've been a reporter for almost 10 years. I realized that watching MTV's The Paper aka the greatest show maybe ever, a reality show about a high school newspaper. As a former editor-in-chief and journalism dork I relate to it, though I wasn't as obnoxious as Amanda the editor-in-chief, or at least I don't think so. But then again me and my staff weren't followed around with video cameras so I don't know what people really thought of me or what 17-year old Diana was really like. And anyway after this week, I like Amanda more then I like the popular clique in the back of the room. I wonder if I had ever been the popular clique in the back of the room if I'd like those kids more. But it's so easy to watch a show like that and for me to place myself there, since it's the only reality show I could have actually been a member of. this makes no sense if you haven't seen the show. But you should.

Anyway, that made me realize what those kids are doing is journalism, and I've been doing some form of it since I was a freshman in high school. And it's weird, because I don't know how much longer I'll be a journalist. I might write a book, or some more articles, and I will of course use all the skills I've used all these years, but realistically, I can't see myself working in 90% of journalism venues.. But who knows, maybe I'll continue journalism forever, so no need to get nostalgic about the last ten years before the last ten years have passsed (ben folds).


And I finally got business cards!!! so I won't be leaving my job quite yet.

Also, a note:
I saw Jon Stewart on the street! With his wife and children. On 17th btwn & 6th on the beautiful day Saturday. It was exciting, but not as exciting as when I saw Christy Turlington for some reason. I think because that was my first celeb sighting in nyc after a drought of forever, and now since I'd seen A celebrity, even if it was just a former model, made Jon Stewart less climatic, though I do love him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home