Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cruising

As I reported earlier, I just came back from a 9 day cruise to the Caribbean, which was quite lovely. Unlike my previous cruises in high school (two stages of life ago, fyi) I didn't make any "cruise friends"--more like cruise acquaintances. Also, my peer group was mostly on their honeymoons. My brother and I were actually asked twice if we were married.

Lack of friends meant I hung out with my brother for the first time in forever, and was able to see him as an adult, which was quite priceless, really.

What else did I do? I got a mild tan. Wore pretty dresses. Probably gained weight from my daily bacon consumption and four course dinners (which were actually kind of underwhelming). Went snorkling in Tortolla, which is a beautiful island. Went horse back-riding through the countryside and the ocean(!). Took an improv workshop with the Second City touring group. Got really competitive during movie trivia. Went on a fishig boat tour where we didn't catch any fish but still had fun since there were fun people on the boat in Antigua. Went on a lame (and rainy) booze cruise in Barbados. Played blackjack with a $100 gift from my dad and after winning multiple days and becoming the child prodigy of the table, lost, so I guess winning doesn't count. Drank fruity drinks. And didn't check e-mail for 9 days which was probably a record for me since, I don't know...when I went on my teen tour in 2000. No joke. That's the longest I've gone without the internet in 7.5 years. That's kind of gross. But at least I know it's not a physical addiction.

Every island reminded me of Africa in a different way, so I'm sure I annoyed my dad and brother being like "These street vendors in St. Lucia remind me of Cape Town!" and "This poverty in Dominican Republic reminds me of the townships!"

I know most people I talked to on the ship wished we skipped it, but Samana, DR I actually really liked despite the poverty, and I kind of liked knowing that tourism was helping their economy. white guilt was rampant on my tour, and people handed kids money for "being cute." During this mini-hike we went on through to a waterfall in the mud and rain these Dominican kids took our hands and wanted money at the end. It was fun the way down when I practiced my 7th grade Spanish,(I literally remember nothing from after that...so sad) asking the boy "What is your name?", "How old are you?" and "Are you from here?" and my dad gave him $2. But we literally had no money after, so I told a girl who tried to take my hand "no tengo dinero" and she ran off to help someone else. A smaller girl, about 8 came by and I told her the same but I don't think she understood because when I told her again at the end, she was MAD. She literally gave me the evil eye until I left. It was so awkward. "You can stop feeling guilty," my dad told me unhelpfully, but whatever.

The other islands were much wealthier and thus a happier place to be a tourist. I've decided, by the way, a cruise is a very middle class experience. Rich and poor people go to Disneyworld but probably not on a cruise. Thought to pondor.

In other news, I hate CNN. I keep watching it for my election coverage, especially on the cruise, without internet, but I despise it. There is no analysis. Just reaction. The talking heads are complete crap. I particularly hate Donna Brazile, the black woman who worked for Gore I believe, who will spit out lines like "Iowa's voters choosing Obama shows they wanted change" or "Hillary Clinton's crying obviously resonated with voters." Stop talking out of your ass lady.
Thank g-d Jon Stewart and Colbert are back on the air. They aren't that crappy without writer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home