Wednesday, January 02, 2008

happy new year!/adventures in voter registration

So I guess the holiday season is over and it's cold, but this only makes me more excited for the cruise I'm going on tomorrow (!!!!), to the Caribbean (!!!!!!), all-expenses paid (!!!!!) courtesy of my father. And I'm glad the New Years is over, since obv forced fun stresses me out. It was totally fine though. We had a lovely pre-party with a pretty good turnout of pretty great people. Then I went to a College Humor party in a Williamsburg warehouse, a last minute decision that sounds much cooler on paper then on the actual fun I had and since I was wine-drunk (ie. really tired) I left embarassingly early (though I did stay past midnight, so I'm not 67 years old yet). I think my New Years resolution is not to stay out later, but to make myself have more fun when I'm out so I WANT to stay out later.

Today was fun in a super-mundane way. Planning for vacations usually stresses me out (life pattern, anyone?) but since I've been off work since Friday I've been able to casually do the things I need to do to prep, though not buy a new bathing suit since I couldn't find a store that sold them. I spent the morning dropping off my laundry (not doing it), then getting a manicure, pedicure, bikini wax and an impulse-purchase arm wax which was possibly the best impulse purchase of my life and I'm not sure why I didn't do it 10 years ago.

Then I mailed in my application to register to vote. Such a process! I printed the form online, then went to the post office to get stamps (side note: the only time I remember that my postal code is swarming with Hasidic jews is when I go to a common area like, well, a post office) and then after buying stamps I saw that they had voter registration forms that I could use that didn't even need stamps! So I filled one of those out, but I had to be very careful since none of the English-language ones were there, so I translated my filled out form onto a Spanish languange one, hence saving myself whatever a stamp costs.

And the only reason I even knew the primary deadline is January 11 in NY (take note New Yorkers) is because Obama's people smartly e-mailed me, though it's actually not that smart, because despite my earlier allegance to the man, I'm kind of over him and am quite conflicted about who I'm voting for, but I think he might be 3rd place on my list since I am underwhelmed by his policy positions and don't know if he'll be an effective prez. I know I SHOULD vote for Edwards since he's the most liberal, but I kind of think it's special that we can elect a woman or a black president, and since I also think Edwards is kind of gross. I'll probably vote for Hillary, but still, I'm conflicted.


Anyway, and if I didn't register today I wouldn't be registered for the primaries. I almost considered not registering, since I like all 3 frontrunners (for the Dems, obv) but don't lovelovelove anyone enough to care which one wins. But then I realized that is the most hypocritical thing I could do, since while my vote only matters a little, it does matter a little, at least for the primaries, and politics is something I genuinely care about, and if a political dork like me can't take the time to register to vote, how can I complain about my fellow apathetic Americans? Granted, most Americans don't move every year like I do, but still, point given.

ok, so that is that. Have a good week and I will blog post-cruise. I am soooo excited to be disconneted from the internet and phone for 9 days. And I never thought I'd say that.

1 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

diana, i was just in the caribbean! in roatan off the coast of honduras, to be exact. it was awesome, except when a tropical storm destroyed a few power plants and no planes or boats would leave or enter the island for two days straight. i finally made it out via a stomach-churning ferry last night. hope the storms cooled down by the time you got there!

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home