Wednesday, March 05, 2008

My day

By now you've probably seen the website Stuff White People Like, which is really stuff the liberal urban young people like. For a fun exercise, since I have an hour to kill before pilates, I will go through my day and will reference this informative blog as I lead you through my day. Feel free to follow along.

My alarm went off at 7:30am and then I pressed snooze until 8am, checked the election results on nytimes.com on my blackberry and was disappointed that Barack Obama didn't win (even though I was conflicted until recently) ate cereal and then I left my gentrified neighborhood in New York City to work at a non profit organization.

I wrote article about needle exchange and some government policy that would apparently increase homelessness, so I was raising awareness about what's best for poor people . I should note that in my department, I am the only white woman, something I am very excited about, because, duh, I love diversity and being the only white person around.

For lunch I went to S'Nice, a vegan coffee shop where the guy who delivers the food (I guess waiter, but not really since we order at the counter) called me by name which was superexciting, had a Quinoa salad and coffee and read the New Yorker and the Wall Street Journal. Not all of it, just an article about math in the New Yorker (that was really good, and totally made sense) and about Mark Zuckerberg in the WSJ. These might sound like publications for smart people, and let me tell you, I am smart. I was once a gifted child.

When I was at work but not actually working I read Caitlin's blog from Japan; discussed my new obsession this amazing American Life episode about a Hasid and a hipster (public radio). I'm sad that I spent so much of my life not listening to This American Life when David Sedaris was on, since I do love him. I answered an e-mail from someone traveling to South Africa, recommending a hostel. I also scoured the internet trying to figure out if Ellen Page (Juno) is gay. I think she is. I feel like she would totally go to the Metropolitan too, which would be the best thing ever if she was just randomly there on a Wednesday night.

After I realized I was scarily on track for work this week, I left at 5:45, grabbed a Luna bar, and got on the L, hoping to make a 6:30 yoga class a 10 blocks from me. But despite my powerwalking, I get there at 6:26pm, all proud of myself, but the room is packed to the max, because after all, there are a lot of other white people in my neighborhood.

They could have maybe squeezed me in, but the leader basically said it would make everyone else uncomfortable, so not wanting to be that person, I left, and the leader apologized about 8 times.

I then came home, blogged what you're reading and watched my DVR'd The Daily Show. Since I am all about self-improvement and following through on exercising, I'm going to go to Pilates at the location nearer to me very soon (It starts at 8:15, but I'm going to be early, since I learned my lesson), which is fine, except I didn't want to eat before since I know I'll be hungry after so I ate grapes and half a cookie, and maybe after pilates if I'm hungry, I'll buy sushi at the overpriced grocery co-op down the street. Or I'll just have a lean cuisine since I had sushi Monday.

K, this took me an hour to write. But I think it was worth it.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger tina said...

SO WORTH IT.

9:35 PM  
Blogger YiRan said...

hahaha...i do love that website. another hilarious one is someecards.com.
how are you?? i like reading about your life in NYC...

11:42 AM  
Blogger allan said...

i feel prejudiced for laughing at your whiteness, but this was great

12:06 AM  
Blogger horph said...

this. is awesome!

5:21 PM  
Blogger diana said...

interesting that none of the commenters are white. A little subtle racism at play? It's ok, I do love my minority friends, obviously.

7:35 PM  
Blogger ninaydan said...

Here's a white commenter for you... This is awesome, Diana. I loved it. How are you? I need to check out your blog more often, I think.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home