Monday, October 16, 2006

Blogging binge continues

Whelming. adv. Exactly as expected. Not good or bad. Sentence: Open-mic night was whelming.

So I went to open-mic night (which I spelled wrong in the last post. So embarassing since I pride myself on being/looking like a good speller) at Melt. And, the host aka "the black guy" gave me a special shoutout when I walked in. Melt has decided to enter the digital age, and were podcasting the open-mic night. I'm sure that will really get a lot of traffic, especially since I can't find it online, and we all know how good I am at googling. The audience was pretty similar to the crowd I saw yesterday. The performers were a few old men playing self-written songs on a guitar and "The Holy Man" as he is known reading Ginsburg poetry. My hopeful bff (the neurotic environmentalist from Cornell) didn't show, and other than the delightful, motherly bartender I was the only female. So after an hour I was like, let's go. (Plus the Bachelor was on).

I'm sure I'll go back. Board games and wine are some of my favorite things, and it's a wonderful place to go on a lazy Sunday. But I kind of am not sure if I belong there. Scratch that, I belong there, since anyone who wants to belong there can belong there. But sitting there, in this welcoming, warm environment watching these people pour their hearts and souls out, I felt like a detached, elitist anthropologist (which is not helped by the fact that I'm writing this down). Still being there made me happy because it's nice to know that i every city there must be places like this where anyone, no matter who they are, can have a place to gather and be with other people and perform and never have to be alone except for after 10pm on weeknights and midnight on weekends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sparber said...

My friend tried to get me to go to open mic night here, which just happens to be at Sidewalk Cafe on Mondays. I was like, I'd rather likc razor blades.

And I love your vague Kelly ref. After five minutes, I was like...

7:15 AM  
Blogger diana said...

no, I actually happened to catch part of open mic night at Sidewalk. Those people were ROCKSTARS compared to what I witnessed last night.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home