Sunday, October 15, 2006

Why today was amazing

So I'd been mildly depressed the last couple weeks, just like, ok, I've been here a month, the city's awesome,f but I haven't really met anyone I'd clicked with, and will it be like this the whole time?

But after sleeping til noon then online communicating with some of my favorite people in Evanston and ny I ventured out of the apartment and on my way to pick up pictures I developed (since my digi is ghetto) I was DRAWN into this coffee shop a block from my apartment. As I sat near the counter reading "Running with Scissors" (good/weird) I saw this normal looking girl with non-blowdried hair sitting at the counter look up from her book to discuss the weather with this older french woman. The weather? That's a conversation I can handle, I thought, so using my empty tea cup as an excuse I finagled my way into their conversation, ("yeah, I'm from NY, and I'll never be able to face the cold after being here," I offered.) And so it began.

At the risk of being completely cliche, this coffee shop/wine bar is like Cheers. By the time I left four hours later everyone shouted, "Bye Diana, see you later!" though I, a little embarassed, can't remember everyone's names. Everyone includes:
-the friendly possibly alcoholic Parisian woman, who I bought a drink since I needed a minimum $10 to charge my glass of wine to my credit card.
-the Kevin Smith lookalike in tyedye who attempted to improve my backgammon skills and I tried to prevent from flirting w/me.
-the black guy whose only job I can gather is hosting the coffee shop's open mike night (which I will be attending tomorrow) and who, 20 years ago lived on 4th st. between A and B and when I told him I lived 2 blocks from there this summer asked if Key Foods is still around (it is.)
-the antique shop owner who completely schooled me in backgammon and gave me his business card in hopes of being featured in San Francisco magazine.
-the British coffee shop owner who kept refilling my wine glass (hence, my current tipsyness) and also gave me her business card in hopes of being featured in San Francisco magazine.
-the cute transplanted Midwesterner bartender who works 3 nights a week and hangs out in the coffee shop the rest of his life.
- theenvironmentalist, neurotic recent Cornell grad from Jersey native who came to sf 3 weeks ago and lives in North Beach but agrees it's not her scene. It was her first time at the coffee shop too. We want to go out in the Mission (if only she were gay, and then we fell in love, but alas, life's not perfect) since we are both very not-North Beach. She's totally someone I could see actually being friends w/and she wants more friends too, since the friends she has are all coupled, and we exchanged digis and she invited me to this scavenger hunt around sf she and her friends are throwing, but I need to find a pair, which as she noted is a good excuse for a date, and is maybe finally the motivation I need to push me out of the asexual rut I've been in for far too long.

And that, my friends, is why today was amazing. Hopefully I'm in such a good mood once all the wine has worn off and I have as much fun at open-mike night as I'm planning to.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sparber said...

Ooooh. So exciting. It's like Cafe Pick Me Up but with more west coast kooks. You LOVE ordering wine at coffee bars.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I know how you feel about missing Evanston. I actually visited this weekend - flew out Friday night, came back yesterday. It was strange, Evanston really felt like home. And it was nice to go back, even though I'm having an awesome time here in Austin.

BTW - if you ever want to, you can still call my family, but it sounds like you're doing just fine!

5:34 PM  
Blogger diana said...

hi chris,

thanks for commenting, it's nice to hear someone's in the same situation. Yeah, even though it's great here, it's not the same as being with people who you know so well. I'm actually thinking about taking a weekend in Evanston too...trying to figure out $, etc.

And I still have your mom's number in my phone, and I truly will call her if I ever need anything. It's always good to know there are people who can help nearby!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home