Sunday, September 10, 2006

San Francisco

San Francisco, CA-

It's only been two days, but so far so good. First impressions:

The city: Beautiful. Very, very hilly, which I never really grasped before. My father (who came here to help me move in) and I took a cable car today which apparently only tourists do, but that's ok, since I'm still a tourist for the next week.

The neighborhood: the edge of North Beach, which is basically the Little Italy area. There are no chain stores within a two block radius which is kind of neat. Supposedly there's a good nightlife close by which I've yet to see. I'm .6 miles to work though my practice walk told me the hills make it feel like much more.

The apartment: There's totally nothing wrong with it. My room is a normal size (compared to my apartment in ny this summer where I lived in a sauna/cubicle, ), everything is fully furnished. It's kind of grungy though. Like, if I weren't living with two recent college grads from schools I've heard of I'd feel like I was living in the projects.

The roommates: Seem really really nice. I'm glad I'm living with girls my own age, and they're both funny and fun and I think we'll live well together.

My father: I appreciate his help, I do. It's scary not knowing anyone in a strange city. And I love not having to pay for anything. But oh my god. Three weeks ago he called me to tell me not to buy a San Francisco map because he'd already bought two. By the time we flew out here I think he had memorized the public transit routes. I haven't and directions aren't exactly my thing. He tries to quiz me. Just substitute "Diana, what bus line should you be taking if you want to get to Market?" with "Diana, what's the opposite of finger?" and I might as well be the three-year old in the home videos I watched when I was home. I definitely don't feel older than seven because by that age if I was I'd be screaming that "I'm not a baby!!!" Now I just bite my tongue and try to be a grown-up even if I'm not being treated like one.

ok, that's it for now, I'll try to update a lot but if I start updating every day that's bad because it means I don't have any semblance of a life.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Snizz said...

what IS the opposite of finger??? toe??

12:10 PM  
Blogger diana said...

Ahh, I totally missed this comment, don't know when you posted (I really should have this e-mailed to me)! But to answer your question, just so I have it in writing, I don't know. My answer 18 years ago was "minger" which I think was quite clever.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home