Sunday, October 15, 2006

ranting

overheard in San Francisco:
"I don't know anyone who agrees with George W. Bush's policies. And these are people from all over the country- New York, California."--woman, Embarcadero

Ok, let's analyze this statement for a second. Let's hope that since I missed the beginning and the end of her conversation, she was using this anectdote to show how she only knows a specific subsect of the American population and NOT to prove Bush's almost dead approval ratings or to predict the midterm election results. Because as scary and improbably as it might seem to both of us, 30 to 40 percent of Americans approve of the job he's doing. I hope this woman realizes that the, maybe 500 people she has discussed Bush's politics with from the diverse areas of San Francisco, New York and even Florida, do not represent a random sample of Americans. Let's get some perspective, people.

End rant.

New rant:
IN OTHER NEWS I realized tonight why when I've told people at work I live in North Beach, I often get a groan. When I think of North Beach I think of North Beach by day. I think of the old Italian men playing checkers and Chinese ladies doing tai chi in the park and the beautiful churches and the non-chain restaurants and the charm and character. But I don't really think of the night life, since I've only gone out out in North Beach maybe 10 hours total since I've been here and since my recent epiphany that I may or may not hate going out in general I didn't want to blame North Beach. But tonight as I was walking back from the movies (The Queen- I recommend) I saw the fratty, drunken North Beach of stereotype. And it kind of made me want to vom. When I always thought San Francisco of popular imagine, I thought liberal, gay, weird, offbeat. Not frat boys slightly grown up.
NEW GOAL: Make more friends who are the type of people who go out in neighborhoods that don't resemble a frat party so I can enjoy North Beach by day but find a different scene by night. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home