Saturday, October 21, 2006

I do have a job

I realized I havne't actually written about work. This is 1) because we were told not to, 2) nothing uber-exciting's going on, but also nothing's bad. But since I spend quite a bit of time there I will give it a shot:

If San Francisco Magazine were a person it would be a San Francisco socialite. A straight white 36 year old woman who got her degree in English from UC-Berkeley. She's married to someone who makes enough money that she can devote her time to "philanthropy" and creating a jewlery line. She goes to all the art galleries and show openings, is politically active (liberal, of course) without losing sleep over genocide in Sudan. She wants to know what's going on around her, and she loves the Bay area. She has enough disposable income that she can do whatever she likes without really thinking about money. She is fashionable, without being fashion obsessed and is a complete foodie who probably never cooks because she's so busy eating out. She'll have children, but not yet.

Keeping this in mind, every article I've written so far has been about art or theater. Which is cool. My first big story is "Top 5 affordable art galleries" but when I say "affordable" this is SFMag affordable which is like when Sarah Jessica Parker says she doesn't only wear expensive clothes, she also shops at Club Monaco. To me, $3500 for a painting is expensive. But that's just me. Still, it was really fun to go to all these galleries and chat with the owners. I tried not to seem too stupid when they asked what kind of art I'm interested in. But this totally inspired me to acquire some design sense and buy art when I have a permanent home.

I'm really enjoying writing these pieces, and what I love about magazine writing is how I can play with every single word and really use my own voice. I love being able to be witty and sit for 20 minutes figuring out sentence structure. And I feel like learning about art will definitely prove to be beneficial to my life. But while I don't regret coming here AT ALL, I think my future lies in less fluffy writing. I think I want to write about politics. Like, I care about politics way more than most people (I think secretly because all of politics is just gossip dressed up as something more important). I was discussing the elections with environmentalist friend, and I assumed she'd know all about it because, she works for the Sierra Club, but she didn't know that Lieberman is from Connecticut. And I don't blame her, it's not actually important, it's just important to me, the way knowing who plays on the San Francisco 49ers is important to other people. But I just find politics really really interesting, and I'm thinking maybe I should go to D.C. after graduation.
Thoughts?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sparber said...

NO TO D.C.! Have you ever been there? It's HIDEOUS. You can do political writing from New York or San Fran. You could even be the NY Times' Canadian politics correspondant reporting from Montreal. Just say to DC. It is an awful city with awful people who shave their facial hair and tuck in their shirts. Or the gays do anyway.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 DC. (imagine the google heart bouncing around the screen). But there are also people in NY, San Fran, probably even Chicago who know where Lieberman is from. But none of those places have crabs, cherry blossoms, or humidity, quite like DC.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Ms. Snizz said...

I HAAAAAAAAAAATE LIEBERMAN. HATE. IT'S THE #1 REASON I'M GLAD I DON'T LIVE IN CONNECTICUT ANYMORE.

i love dc too.

almost as much as i hate lieberman.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home