Sunday, November 12, 2006

Anatomy of a bad day

Today was shitty. Nothing bad happened, it just sucked, you know, and it was totally a self-fulfilling prophecy. An Australia Day to quote my mom who was quoting the best book ever "Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good very bad day." So I woke up at noon which is not unusual for me, and as much as anyone claims differently I don't expect this to change with age. I had no forseeable plans, so I did nothing for a little while as I pondered my unappealing options- including gym and cleaning my room- when I decided I would go visit my long-lost friends the sea lions. As I was very slowly getting ready, at 3pm I get a call from my landlord.

How have I not blogged about Landlord yet? He is ridiculous. He takes years to fix anything yet is really proud of himself when he does. He claims to be working on his book about faith healing, but really he's just walking around North Beach picking up rent checks. He comes over at random hours and is surprised when we're annoyed.

So this call was to tell me he was showing someone my room in, oh, 5 minutes. But even though it was 3pm I was still in pjs. When I told Landlord this he was totally judging me. Still, I quickly throw my clothes under my bed, put on jeans to open up my home to Landlord and the prissy girl he shows the apartment to. Girl is a bitch and wants no part in small talk. I finally leave while Landlord again judges my "lazy day" which I am totally entitled to, because unlike him I actually work the rest of the week instead of pretending to make phone calls about broken sinks.

I go see the sea lions at Fisherman's Wharf. They are lame. Now for my first two weeks in sanfran, the sea lions were my only friends. I visited them about six times and they never disappointed. However today they disappointed. Instead of their usual cuddling and fighting, today they barely moved. Like me, they were apparently feeling blah. I wanted to tell the tourists surrounding me, "You should have been here two months ago, they were so much better." However, this seemed like nothing to brag about, so I stopped myself.

Then at 4:30 or so, wanting a plan, I decided I would take the F street car as far as it can go (the Castro) just for an activity, and once there I would have dinner. Dinner would include meat, which I was craving. However, three minutes into the ride, I heard "Last stop." Yup, I was on the wrong direction. Awesome. I took this as a sign from the heavens that my day was supposed to be blah, so I went to In 'n Out for dinner.

Ok, I didn't expect In 'n Out to be GOOD, in the classic sense, but Californians in diaspora talk about it so much, I figured it would be special. No. It's like McDonald's. I think this shows how starved we, as a people in this gentrified world, are for a regional identity. We'll grasp to a restaurant that is only a local chain because it's not good enough to expand nationally.

Then I went to Barnes & Nobles. Then I went home. Now I'm home. And I refuse to make this day better because I kind of want today to continue sucking so I can just wake up tomorrow and have a fresh start. That doesn't really make sense, but to me it does.

4 Comments:

Blogger Oberon said...

.......i understand.......completely.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Sparber said...

Awwwwww. I understand too. Not about the sea lions being your only friends (freak!) but about wanting the day to end so the next can start. I didnt get up till 12 and out of bed till 3pm. But now its 1220am and I'm headed out. TTYL!

9:27 PM  
Blogger allan said...

you know you had a REALLY bad day when you don't even enjoy in n out. omg dude, their burgers are the best thing ever! i like, make my parents take me to in n out each time i fly into l.a. kinda lame, i know, but it's just that good to my taste buds.

in other news, get to evanston already. the party scene really needs you.

1:05 AM  
Blogger diana said...

ha, perhaps I need to experience in 'n out when i'm 1) in a better mood and 2) with a native who can explain to me the appeal.

And, awww, I'm really excited to hang out with you all in Evanston again! But I don't think it speaks well of the "party scene" if my presence is needed to spice things up.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home