Sunday, October 22, 2006

"That's not sketchy, that's modern"

Let me just note that since my vow last week to improve my social life, I've seriously doubled my number of friends, or at least cruise friends. In case you're wondering, cruise friends are friends you use to have fun when you're in a specific situation (ie. a cruise) with no reason to keep in touch after the duration. Sometimes cruise friends morph into real friends, but that is not a requirement. So this week two new interns arrived, so now there's a great group of four girls to eat lunch with and go post-work drink 'n bitch. And on Friday I went out with new friend Odette (coffee shop enviro) and a couple of her friends and had much fun, attending Melt! Friday open mic night (far superior to Monday actually), went bar hopping and smoked pot (!) on her roof (!!!). And I still love my roommates, who I am even more grateful for after meeting Odette's roommate, who she also found on craigslist, but who resembles a serial killler.

However, I still wanted to meet lesbians, and with the exception of my roommates' rugby friends, I really hadn't met any. Not that I have many gay girl friends at school, but I'm aiming higher here, since it is San Francisco.(Preface: I was so only going to tell this story to select people since it seemed sketchy to a non-gay audience, but as my friend Rob said when I told him, "That's not sketchy, that's modern" so instead I will tell EVERYONE).

So last night with no plans on the horizon, except the always available possibility of going to Melt! (which is a last resort, let's be real. Even the guys in Cheers wouldn't go to Cheers if they had something better to do). So, bored, I happened on craigslist w4w. Sifting through the "My boyfriend's gone tonight, want to play" and "I want a girlfriend now-NO MEN" varieties, I saw an ad from a girl trying to get a platonic group together to go to some club opening. I responded, and I talked to this non-sketchy sounding girl who offered to give me a ride. I IM'd everyone I thought wouldn't judge me, to get approval, but no one was there, so I just went with it, hoping this chick wasn't going to steal my kidney.

She didn't, and the group of 4 of us hung out all night at this really fun club with a great mix of music and girls. Two of the girls I came with were great (one girl, also new to the area and apparently more cautious/less lazy than me, met us at the club). The other non-driver: um, ok, think about a 15 year old boy, in appearance and personality. I'm convinced she didn't have any friends to go out with because they all refuse to be seen with her. As we were walking into the club, she's like "Who's going to carry me back to the car when I'm too drunk to walk?" LOL, we thought. Um, no, this bitch got shwasted and left perfect strangers circa 5 hours earlier to carry her to the car. However, she claims she got three phone numbers, and I wouldn't have believed her except one called while we were driving back:
Choice excerpts we heard:
"Um, who is this?"
" I don't remember you."
"Do you have text? I won't remember any of this so why don't you text me this and we'll go out."
I did not get any numbers (maybe my next week goal will be not to be awkward). However, this girl's mad skills confirmed for me that I just need to be more confident, because if she can do it, I certainly can. But still, it was really fun! It was great music ("Summer Lovin' from Grease remix!), great people, and now I have dykes I can call to go out with for my remaining weeks in the city.

You really can get everything on Craiglist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sparber said...

You should start a craigslist thread called Rooftop Pot Smoking. You seem to love it.

And let's not forget that my sis met her FIANCEE on Craigslist. Did I tell you that story. Viva la Craiglist.

6:13 PM  
Blogger diana said...

omg, how did I not know that?! Does she tell people that or does she just say they met through "mutual friends."

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home