Thursday, November 30, 2006

I guess this is growing up

K, I feel like I should write SOMETHING so here's a diana-esque late-night musing:

At work today, my fellow interns, f(our other girls who are now my bffaeae except not really but kind of), and I chatted about the potential trials of having a husband have a sex-change, wacky freshman roommate stories (I obv could share a few) and most importantly the kick-ass tree trimming party one of the interns is throwing Saturday. Then our boss walked in. Except our boss is out this week so our substitute boss walked in. She kept asking about the holiday party, ("that sounds so much fun!") kind of fishing for an invite until she shamelessly invited us to HER holiday party. It seemed weird she wanted to come to our party because she's our substitute boss, but then we remembered she's like 22. In any other setting she's a peer. And she was an intern a year ago, but if she hadn't been such a type-A go-getter and graduated from school early, she could have been one of us right now.

As I dip my toe into the real world, I am trying to gather information that will serve me well once I am a permanent resident. One of the things that continually shocks me even though it shouldn't: the narrowing of the age/power relationship gap. Growing up my parents, teachers, camp counselors were older than me. The kids I babysat for were younger than me. Throughout my entire education I was more valuable or powerful than someone a grade younger than me but less so than those a grade ahead. But that's quickly evaporating. While age kind of counts for something, merit, talent, luck and connections count for more. In the not-so-distant future I could have a boss who's younger than me or be the boss to someone who's older than me.

So moral of this story...life as I know it will very soon change forever. And in case you were wondering we decided to be nice and invite Editor to the party, though she probably won't come for very long, and it could be a tad awk, but not too much

In other news: tonight I had a cab driver who said he was 7'3 and could only fit 3 people in the cab because he has to bring his seat back so far!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The editor-in-chief of Texas Monthly is now 39 years old. He's had his job for about 6 years. I know what you're talking aboot. Craaaaaaazy.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home