Sunday, January 07, 2007

Evanston update!

I've been in Evanston for a week. It feels longer. Which is good since I have a lot to do before I graduate. Marcy, Irina and I made a quite excellent list of things to do in Chicago. And I apparently like lists since I helped Becca make an also quite excellent pro/con chart tonight (muahahahah). So here's another list of hings I have done so far of interest:

  • moved into my lovely HUGE apartment that I'm subletting from a mutual friend with a queen-sized bed. My roommates are lovely as well. Though I miss my sf roommates and our tv time.
  • had a happy New Years but realized I'm so over binge drinking. New Years resolution: Stop eating when I'm full, stop drinking when I'm drunk, and stop talking when I have nothing relevant to say. p.s. If you want to read a GREAT article about New Years resolutions...
  • went to the Lincoln Park Zoo, and realized zoos are possibly the cruelest/saddest place on earth. But that one-armed monkey was so darn cute.
  • had a great class that was filled with annoying creative writing majors
  • lost in a spelling bee at Hundo (though I did not wear my "Hundo shoes"). This is probably worthy of a whole blog post, but at the time it was too traumatic, and now most people have heard the details. I wanted to participate in this genuinely dorky activity because of my now shattered belief that I am an excellent speller (solidifed by a bitch at Jane who told me I "looked like a good speller." I know, wtf). However, I am not so excellent. I got out in the second round! On Massachusetts! Which I have never had trouble spelling in my life. But under the pressure I spelled it M-A-S-S-A-C-H-U-S-S and then it was too late. The crowd started "ooohing" with mock-sympathy. And the crowd didn't even know I didn't suck at spelling since my word in the first round was the super-easy "yield." Though as Xtine pointed out, at least I wasn't one contestant who got out in the first round on origami (O-R-A-G-A-M-Y). And I didn't even get a chance to do the word I practiced G-O-N-O-R-R-H-E-A. But congrats to Tina (who is probably reading this) on her 4th place finish!
  • went with Irina to an Orthodox rabbi's house for Shabbat, and actually had a really good time, despite the obnoxious freshmen who attended. And I'm kind of in love with the rabbi's wife.
  • Went to a dueling piano bar in Wrigleyville, which was on the previously mentioned list. Quite fun.
  • Ate out every night since I have not been the grocery store and the only food here is cereal.
  • Was super-productive at (non-wine selling) coffee shops. Managed to finish grant proposal, resume update AND add my first non-Tom friends on Myspace. Life is good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad the pro/con chart ended up being totally irrelevant.

2:15 PM  
Blogger tina said...

see you in cape town.

also, i now believe that spelling bees are a completely inaccurate judge of one's true spelling ability, given that we are performing under pressure and being given words of tremendously varying difficulty. i vote that we hold the next spelling bee in the form of a 500-word essay written on deadline, no spellcheck.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home